Thursday, August 30, 2007

Like a Deer in the Headlights

I had my first casting agency audition yesterday. It did not go as well as I had hoped. The few times I've auditioned for the camera, I have been unnaturally relaxed. I find acting for the camera a very intimate and personal experience, and I am comfortable with that. But lately, I have become jumpy and insecure with auditions and performing, and I nearly sabotage myself with fears, especially the fear of forgetting my lines. I am experienced enough that I should not be concerned about forgetting my lines, but my demons are springing up again, convincing me that for some odd reason, my memory is failing.

First of all, I had to wait an hour and 15 min for my audition, even though it was scheduled for a specific time. Waiting for an audition is always difficult; I have not mastered the art of staying focused and relaxed for an extended period of time. I understand, however, that auditions get backed up, so I am patient. When they finally ushered me in, (and I could tell the guy was tired and really just wanted to go get a sandwich), I suddenly became very insecure about the way I looked; specifically, I was aware that my nipples were popping through my form-fitting shirt. I'm not kidding. It was as if they suddenly came to life with the camera, and I was painfully aware that they would be captured on screen. Ugh. I started my monologue, and about three lines in, my mind went, uhhh, what's the next thing I'm supposed to say? SHIT. panic. panic. Oh, yeah, something about lemonade: "blah, blah, bl-" NO! Not that! She DIDN'T make me lemonade. "Uh..." backpeddle. fumble. Go on.

So, I finished up the monologue, and I may have even had a good moment or two, but I know that fumble counted against me. Like dead air on a radio station. Then, I read from a script, and it was perfect, at least from my point of view. I had the whole thing memorized (??) (see how crazy this is? I blank out on a monologue that I've had memorized, but something I just got an hour earlier, I know by heart). Then, the guy was like, "Ok. Thanks." Practically shoving me out of the door, he did not ask me to fill out additional paperwork like some of the girls before me did. Mmm.

Basically, I got a false start on my monologue, and I very well may have blown a potentially important audition. It's impossible to judge, but... I have a bad feeling. So, how to avoid this? For starters, I think I'm going to start monologues differently. I am going to start them as if I am going to sing. Which is, first: BREATHE. I always forget to breathe.

And I need to just forget about my nipples. Gah!