Monday, January 28, 2008

Carnage

There has been some bloodshed in the vicinity of my backyard these last 24 hours.

My cat, a fat, cuddly orange tabby living on approximately the 8th of his 9th life, killed a bird yesterday. I was not at home, but Mr. P reported the bloody scene to me. Despite the cold that has settled in on us recently, Vinny begged to go out, and not 20 seconds later (no exaggeration), his paws were red with blood, feathers were sticking to his mouth, and he was already gnawing on his kill, a dove, who was not even completely dead. This was his first dove, I'm not sure why he did it, other than to prove he's still "got it" or something.

And because that wasn't quite gruesome enough, our neighbors bled a deer carcass in their backyard last night.

Our new next-door neighbors, renters in a house with a long line of strange tenants, are cross-bow hunters. We discovered their hunting interests on Christmas Day, as I watched them shoot bows at a target, sensing that this was no ordinary archery practice. I joked to Mr. P just the other day, "you'll see; one day they'll drag home a deer carcass." Well, the doomed deer made its appearance yesterday, and our lovely neighbors strung it up in the backyard by its feet and butchered it at 11 pm last night.

This is suburban DC, people! I don't even think that's legal.