Friday, March 6, 2009

Watchmen and Watching Men: An Update of my Celebrity Crushes

I was feeling a bit ho-hum about the Watchmen mania, until this week. Is it possible that the hype bored itself into my brain and made me want to see it, or am I just a huge sucker for eye candy? I know one thing: I am painfully not au courant on graphic novels, which is too bad, because I do enjoy them, I just kind of, you know, forget about them. So I'm going to have to ignore the mixed reviews Watchmen the Movie is getting and go see it because: A. it looks like an interesting story, B. I'm a fan of flawed super heroes, and C. hello: did I mention the eye candy?

Look, I'm a woman, and I have visual needs. I also have an ever-changing list of celebrity crushes, and only recently did I notice that the top spots are usually held by hunky super heroes. Wait, does Wolverine count as a superhero? Because Wolverine made me love Hugh Jackman, and he has been in my top three since the first X-Men came out. Christian Bale made a quick trajectory to my heart after his first Batman, but since the real Bale has lost his temper one too many times, he has dropped a few notches. Eric Bana brought more Aussie goodness to my short list, although not from the Hulk role. I think Munich did it for me. Then, others fall in line: Ioan Gruffuld, Liev Schreiber, Billy Crudup, Brian Williams... oh my, did I just say Brian Williams?! He isn't a super hero, but he certainly is a super news anchor, and apparently, I just became post-menopausal. At this rate, I may as well add Stephen Colbert, who, incidentally, has a super hero alter ego...

All this nattering on serves only to set up and introduce my newest celebrity crush: Jeffrey Dean Morgan.


I knew him from Supernatural, because I don't watch Grey's Anatomy, but seeing him in photos and trailers for Watchmen has placed him firmly into my top ten, possibly in the top slot. I mean, it's about time I crushed on someone new. I realize that his character, the Comedian, is supposed to be a bad guy, even dangerous, and I'm not a fan of the mustache, either (in some photos), but I can imagine a 1940's-style panache that the mustache gives him, as long as he's wearing all that super hero garb and looking like he has some sexy and evil hidden agenda. You probably noticed Crudup, aka Dr. Manhattan, on my list, but no, not for Watchmen. Crudup looks like a guy in France I briefly dated, a handsome devil to be sure, and trouble, too, but I'm not so into overly buff, naked blue dudes without pupils.

No; for me, Morgan trumps even handsome Patrick Wilson, just as Batman trumps Superman, Ironman trumps Spiderman, and Wolverine trumps Cyclops. I guess I likes 'em a little rough around the edges. Welcome to the club, Jeffrey! Would you like to see my Catwoman costume?