Friday, July 10, 2009

Altered States

Have you ever woken from your sleep and not known exactly where you are? Like, if you've been traveling, or you're just extremely tired, and the room is very dark, and it takes you a few seconds to remember where you are, or what you were doing last night?

Two nights ago, I woke up in the middle of the night, and not only did I not know where I was, I actually didn't know who I was. No kidding! It was as if I was completely... blank. Nothing. Slate wiped clean. In only a few seconds, I remembered, but the pieces were swirling around and assembling in my imagination like a celestial puzzle. It was the most bizarre experience. I thought... I live in -- Rockville. Yeah. Wait, why do I live in Rockville?! And then, after a few seconds of this, I just went back to sleep.

Of course, I told Mr. P this story, and he got kind of scared and then sad, and he whispered, "you're not going crazy on me, are you?" But I didn't mean to scare him, nor was I worried about myself. I actually thought it was cool, like an interesting, new mental state. (Ha- now I sound crazy.) But seriously, it was so relaxing to be blank! I can see where perpetual blankness would be inconvenient, but a few seconds? I almost wish I could tap into that place again.