Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Did You Know?

Did you know that every woman should have a certain 10 essential items in her clothes closet? That is according to Tim Gunn, on Bravo's Guide to Style, which I watched for the first time last night. I am a little bit endeared to Gunn, who seems sincere in his pursuit to make people dress better. I thought I would watch the show to make fun of it (have you seen Michael MacDonald impersonate him on MadTV?), but I ended up taking actual notes. Lucky for me, because if you go to the site for more information, you will not easily find checklists and clear information, which is probably intentional for getting you to watch the show. Lucky for you, too, that I did the dirty work, because they were not straightforward even on the show about this precious information. So, here are the items, with my comments:

1. Little black dress (check! Except the little shiny doodad on the back of mine has broken, even though it is staying in place)

2. Classic dress pant (... jeans aren't dressy?)

3. Classic white shirt (check! It's about three years old, uncomfortably tight across the bust, and is starting to show little sweat stains... ew. Ok, uncheck.)

4. Day dress (check! I get compliments on it, but it is made of synthetic fabric and doesn't breathe well.)

5. Blazer (check! If we are counting funky, Asian-Turkish inspired casual blazers? Tim??)

6. Skirt (check! Got lots of those, including my favorite, straight one, with a little sexy slit on the side.)

7. Cashmere sweater (check! It's second-hand Calvin Klein, I believe, and it's a cardigan, but it's cashmere.)

8. Jeans (Check! Again, lots of those, but I still find it difficult to find the best pair.)

9. Trenchcoat (Check! It's a raincoat, technically, but I think it counts.)

10. Sweatsuit alternative (I am just not into sweatsuits. I simply cannot wear them without looking frumpy. I'll have to keep watching the show to see what they come up with here.)

How do you fare? I am not a big shopper myself, but I am inspired. I think I may even go to a bra fitter this week.