Thursday, September 13, 2007

Lest We Forget

Sixty-five years after her death, the poems of young Jewish poet Selma Meerbaum-Eisinger live on both in text as well as music. Composer Gershon Kingsley recently set to music the words of the teenage girl from Romania who became imprisoned in a concentration camp.

Despite falling very ill and eventually perishing in this labor camp at the age of 18,
she wrote and eventually left behind 52 original poems, many of which were intended for her boyfriend. After the war, a friend of hers rescued the poems and took them to Israel, where they were published.

Her words:

‘I want to live.
I want to laugh and lift loads
and want to fight and love and hate
…and want to be free and breathe and scream.
I don’t want to die. No!
No.
Life is red.
Life is mine.’

I have not heard the whole disc , "Voices from the Shadow," so I cannot review it here, but the snippets give the impression of a music that is personal, intimate, and haunting.