Monday, November 17, 2008

Geek for Freaks

I finally saw Tod Browning's 1932 cult classic film, Freaks. Halloween put me in a mood for the scary, creepy, and other-worldly (yeah, more than usual), so I rented it for the holiday but only just now got around to actually watching it.

I thought I'd devote an actual post to my "review," rather than a side bar mini review just because, damn. Fascinating flick, you guys. First off, I will say that it's not near as scary as I anticipated. It's not at all scary, actually, unless you have a phobia of circus "freaks" (which I realize is no longer p.c., but work with me here). The spoilers I had read built it up to have this terrible, twisty, and unfortunate ending, but the outcome feels like more of a denouement. Yes, the protagonist/villain does suffer a terrible, albeit somewhat deserved, fate, but it's not one that will keep you up at night.

The most disturbing facet of this film I found is neither the plot nor the actual sideshow performers who act in it, but rather that much of the original film did not survive. Allegedly, when Browning released Freaks, it was so controversial that he was forced to cut about 30 minutes, reducing the running time to just over an hour and leaving the cut film to be lost. As a result, the final product is choppy and looks as though it was the victim of sloppy editing. The quality of the film also has not been preserved, as the sound is all over the map, and sometimes the picture just looks faded.

What is so controversial about this film? I suppose in the age of movies like Saw and Hostel, it's hard to believe that a film which features real people with deformities and forces the audience to imagine violence might actually be banned for 6 months in the UK. I suppose it was groundbreaking, however, in its ability to open the door to the world of real "freaks" who happen to be regular people capable of love and compassion as well as vengeance and violence.

Freaks inspired me to research the history of sideshows as well as the deformities and conditions with which these performers were afflicted. Among the real freaks are little people (the little people couple is the heart of the film), armless women, a legless man, a limbless man (the human torso), three people with microcephaly, an intersexual, and a woman with Virchow-Seckel syndrome (look it up!). It's sad to think about all these things, but they were rather endearing in the film.

So, to whet your appetite for this film, or perhaps, to suppress it, enjoy the following clip of a freak in action: