Friday, June 26, 2009

Rock the Night Away

Damn. Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson in one day. It's as if my big brother's adolescent room just went *poof.*

I say "my brother," but I, of course, was into both: Charlie's Angels for a brief stint, and Jackson for much longer. One of my favorite and earliest "Michael Jackson Memory" is of going into my brother's room and pulling out his vinyl copy of the "Off The Wall." It was a great album, and I loved opening up the record to reveal his full-body photo. Heh.

I also remember MJ being a big deal at summer camp. My camp friends and I once choreographed a group dance to "PYT," and when there was a lice breakout (Ew!), we would sing, "Lice, Lice... doo doo doot doot..." along to "Human Nature."

During my young adulthood in France, I revisited MJ, seriously rocking out one evening to "Billie Jean" at the Paris Fireman's Ball (don't ask), as well as regularly dancing to that album with "Man in the Mirror" and "The Way You Make Me Feel" with my pianist friend Paul. I used to sing with Paul - he introduced me to the vocal music of Rachmaninoff and Faure - and after our Sunday afternoon sessions, we would take a break from classical, crank up Michael Jackson, and drink wine, dance, and cook. Good times.

I'm sure there are many more memories, and if I had to sit down and list my favorite songs of all time, Michael Jackson's tunes may take up two or three spots, at least. The only happiness we can take from his demise is no longer having to worry about his descent into crazy/plastic surgery hell, and knowing that his music will live forever. God bless, Michael. I hope you found Farrah up there, and that you two are enjoying some peace, at last.