Saturday, December 22, 2007

Blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind



I’ve experienced a lot of signs in my life recently. Behold:

Sign that my home remodel has lasted way too long:
instead of putting on slippers to go downstairs to make coffee in the morning, I slip on my work boots

Sign that I should probably wash my jeans already:
the cat keeps smelling the same place on my jean leg like he’s interested in eating it

Sign that the writer’s strike has taken its toll:
I turn to free movies On Demand and watch Sleepless in Seattle, for Pete’s sake

Sign that I might need to get a new refrigerator:
I smell something burning… and see the cat lapping up steak juice

Sign that I need a real job:
I find my checking account in overdraft after having to buy a new refrigerator

Sign that banks are criminal bastards:
the account would not have gone into overdraft if they posted the transactions immediately after I made them, like the &*$# bank commercials say they do

Sign that my luck may be changing:
I GET A JOB!

Sign that the company may be totally desperate:
they call me three hours after my interview to offer me the job and don’t even bother calling my references

Sign that I may be totally desperate:
I take an “entry-level” job (but it’s in the ARTS, finally!)

Sign that the holidays are upon us:
I start planning my schedule around meals

Sign that Christmas may be the most overrated holiday of the year:
I start singing along to the jewelry commercial jingles

Signs that Christmas may be the best holiday of the year:
everything counts as a “Christmas present,” you can pretend to be out of town for two weeks, even if you’re not, and it’s ok to have eggnog and gingerbread cookies… for breakfast