Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Me Cook Good (sometimes)




I'm not much of a cook, really. I'm a bit of a spaz in the kitchen, and often, I catch something on fire. I enjoy cooking, but I didn't grow up in a gastronomic family, and despite my enjoyment for eating, I've never had a natural sense for what flavors work well together, what happens chemically to ingredients mixed together, or how to create a dish from a few random foods found in the refrigerator. However, in mere survivalist form, I have learned how to whip up a few things, and the few dishes or items I know are pretty tasty.

Here are just a few:

1. Chicken Soup

2. hot chocolate (just a little bit spicy, a la mexicaine)

3. omlette (only recently learned that 3 eggs are better than 2)

4. pommes de terre au gratin (Or: potatoes au gratin) (I learned it in France, and they have better cream there. No, seriously, they do. But it still works here)

5. red cabbage (this one is a bit of a surprise to me)

6. ratatouille (Even if you speak French, it’s still hard to say)