Friday, September 12, 2008

The Lovers, the dreamers, and me

I just saw a wonderful exhibit of Jim Henson's life and work at the Smithsonian, which happily allowed me to revisit the Muppets as well as meet some new characters and learn some things about Henson I didn't know.

For instance, I didn't know he made a lot of commercials in the 60's.

Meet the La Choy Dragon:



I love that the mother is very seriously concerned, and how the store employee extinguishes the burning sign as if that darn dragon sets things on fire every day in that store. (But who's going to pick up all those knocked over cans?)

With another likable and, may I add, creatively designed character, he sells "fabric finish."



How adorable is a medieval knight with irons for feet? So cute that we can overlook the fact that the woman doesn't hear something explode in her living room before she's even out of it.

Ah. I miss Jim Henson. He was some kind of genius. I could devote an entire blog to his work, but I thought I would just share these two lesser known little gems today.