Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Mid-Year Crisis

I can't tell you how many times this summer I have wanted to write a self-pitying blog post. Because, actually, it's been a little tough this summer. I have been searching for a new job for what seems like ages, and after being a "finalist" for three positions, I still have turned up nothing. Money is tight and only gets tighter as each day goes by, and WAH. Poor, poor me.

Seriously, though, I think no one cares. I mean, of course, people care. They love me! I know you care! But there's only so much feeling sorry for yourself that you can do. Eventually, you just have to find a solution. The Universe is clearly trying to tell me something, so I better start listening.

I'm going to have to start teaching voice and guitar. I mean, why not? I know how to do both. I know I can teach voice, I think I may actually enjoy teaching voice, I'm just nervous about my limited piano skills. But I've been told that it's really no big deal. And guitar: I'm going to teach acoustic. Lots of people want to learn chords and stuff, right? I figure: I can see what teaching is like, and I can get paid better than my other part-time job.

So, please keep your fingers crossed for me. I think my time has finally arrived to get out there and be a real artist. Which inevitably involves teaching. And outreach performances. And the dreaded AUDITIONS. It is time!

But if a nice, comfy secretarial position presents itself in the meantime, I'm totally snagging it.