Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The eyes have it

On the way into work this morning, a woman on the train said to me, "You have the most beautiful eyes!" I thanked her, and she replied, "Don't thank me! Thank the people who gave them to you!" Then she wondered how many people I had "given them to," which I perceived as a little gross, giving your eyes to someone, but I am eye-phobic. I also wondered if she meant how many people I had used my eyes to flirt with it, because in the South, after all, we do learn how to "give your eyes to someone." But she meant children, and when I told her I had not yet chosen to pass along my genes, she encouraged me to do so, many times over, because if she had eyes like mine, she would "give them to everyone!" Why, that's just about the best reason I've ever heard to breed.