Saturday, August 30, 2008

The more things change, the more they stay the same

While tidying up yesterday, I picked up my baby book and started to thumb through it. Tucked in the back were the front pages of two newspapers dated Sept. 1973, about a year and a half after I was born. My mother had kept them because the main headlines were about a hurricane named after me. (well, not really named after me, just sharing my first name.)



I thought, cool, historic newspapers! I wonder what was going on in the world in 1973?

Well, folks, what was going on in 1973 is pretty close to what is going on in 2008. Here is what I gleaned from the yellowing newsprint:

1. Senator Edward Kennedy was in the process of proposing a national health care plan.

2. There was an investigation into the premature death of an actor (Bruce Lee).

3. A dangerous hurricane was bearing down on the gulf coast.

There were, however, some subtle differences:



Super Fly, at the drive-in! A triple feature with a western and 70s soft core.

And, more blaxpoitation; or, otherwise, a 70s classic (sorry for the photo quality):



Yes, that says "6 foot 2" of Dynamite!" It also says, above "Loews Palace:" Air Conditioned.

Fancy!